34a Kalinin st.
Arzamas, Nizhegorodskaya obl., Russia
phone: +7 (83147) 2-40-64
fax: +7 (83147) 72-777,
Arzamas is the 3d largest town in Nizhegorodsky region, a district's center. It is situated in 112 km to the south of Nizhny Novgorod, 410 km away from Moscow. It is on the right bank of the river Tyosha, a tributary of the Oka. Arzamas is a large railway junction, connecting the central part of Russia with Ural and Siberia.
Arzamas is one of the oldest towns of Nizhegorodsky region.
By the legend it was founded by Tzar Ivan IV (the Terrible) during his campaign towards Kazan' in 1552. Arzamas came into being as a fortified town at the place of the antique settlement of the nationality Mordva-Erzya. The town-fortress was in duty "to be at the tsar's service". The official date of the town's foundation is considered 1578.
The name "Arzamas" appeared as a merging of the Mordvinian words "erzya" - the Mordvinian tribe's name and "mazy" - red, beautiful.
From time immemorial Arzamas and its circuit are famous for craftsmen. The leather making, fur-dressering, fat-melting, felt-making, blacksmith's, harness-maker's, brick-making were successfully developed in the past. Owing to its favourable geographic situation Arzamas became a trading center of Povolzhie, known for selling of bread, onions, poultry, livestock, craftsmen' articles.
By the middle of XVIII century Arzamas had become a junction of 10 highways, among them - 4 of State importance. The development of trade and crafts led to the appearance of rich merchantry of all guilds, who had trading firms and shops not only in the native town but also at the large country's fairs.
The town's image was influenced by the results of the development. Arzamas merchants built churches at their expenses and competed in their embellishment made large contributes for acquisition of church utensils.
In the XIX century there were more than 30 churches and 4 monasteries in Arzamas. Due to such abundance of churches and close connection with Moscow the comparison was born: "the town of Arzamas is Moscow's corner". Arzamas is registered as one of 116 historical towns of our country, needing special attitude to preservation of their historic legacy
The leaders' names of the peasant wars: Ivan Bolotnikov, Stepan Razin (more than 11,000 of his adherents were executed on Ivanov hills from October 1670 to January 1671 in Arzamas), Emelyan Pugachev are connected with the town's history. In the heroic chronicle of the 17th century the personality of renown made history. Her name was Alyona Arzamasskaya, a nun who was in charge of 7,000 insurgent peasants in the course of Razin's armed rebellion. She was captured by the government's troops near the townlet of Temnikov (Mordovia) and burnt alive. There is a memorial to Alyona in Temnikov.
Arzamas is connected closely with the history of Russian literature and culture.
Occupying the favourable geographic position, the town was visited by many Great Russian writers and poets, due to them Arzamas has become the part of Russian literature's history. At different times N.M.Karamzin, V.N.Tatishcev, S.N.Glinka, V.A.Sologub, A.S.Pushkin, P.A.Vyazemskiy, L.N.Tolstoy, V.G.Korolenko, N.G.Chernyshevskiy, V.V.Mayakovskiy and others arrived at Arzamas. In 1815 the town's name was given to the freedom-loving literary society, founded by V.A.Zhukovskiy in St-Petersburg.
In the beginning of the 19th century under the leadership of Academician A.V. Stupin the 1st Russian provincial school of arts was founded in Arzamas/ Under its roof the whole galaxy of the talented painters was reared, there were K.G.Perov, V.E.Rayev, N.Pachkov, N.A.Koshelev and many others among them.
Arzamas is well-known by its talents who have got wide popularity in Russia. Among them M.S. Zhukova (1805-1855) takes a special place. She is one of few Russian women-writers whose work was admired by the famous poets and writers in the XIXth century.
Vakhterov Vassiliy Porfiryevich (1853-1924), the famous teacher, the author of many scientific articles and manuals was born here. In the beginning of the XXth century Russia was taught by dint of his "Russian ABC-book", and the book for class reading "The World in children's stories" was one of the most wide-spread in the pre-revolutionary school.
Saint Patriarch of Moscow and all Russia Sergiy (Starogorodskiy Ivan Nikolayevich 1867-1944) and Father Johann (Storozhev Ivan Vladimdrovich) - the last clergyman of Tzar Nikolay II were born in Arzamas at different times and got the rudiments of ecclesiastical education.
Arzamas is a youth town of the children's writer A.P.Gaidar (1904-1941). With the rare moving affection the today's inhabitants of Arzamas keep the memorable Gaidar places - a writer's house of childhood, a gymnasium building, a literary museum after A.P.Gaidar, the Gaidar monument, chiseled by the sculptor Yu.P.Struchkov.
Arzamas was a place of M.Gorki's exile (1902). L.N.Andreyev, V.I.Nemirovich-Danchenko, S.G.Skitaletz often stayed at the house of the exiled writer. Afterwards M.Gorki organized in the house the 1st public town library. Nowadays there is a memorial museum in the house.
Arzamas is a native town of architect M.P.Korinfskiy (1788-1851). According to his design in 1842 the stately Resurrection Cathedral in honour of the victory over Napoleon was erected; the prominent researcher-economist A.V.Karpov (1857-1885); the great scientist, full member of All-Union Agricultural Academy A.I.Nikolayev, Academician - philosopher F.V.Konstantinov and many others.
The modern town is an important industrial, agricultural and cultural center of the Volga-Vyatsky region of Russia. Produced in Arzamas machinery, municipal lorries, aircraft and medical instruments, food-stuffs, onion and gypsum from Peshelan' in particular are well-known in the country.
Arzamas is a town of science, educational institutions, of developed network of cultural and medical institutions. There are 3 higher schools, 7 technical secondary schools, a wide network of schools and educational centers for children, 2 theatres (drama and opera), 3 museums (historic-artistic, museums after A.M.Gorki and A.P.Gaidar), exhibition halls, gallery of the art school after A.V. Stupin, a centre of national trades in Arzamas.
The busy roads pass through Arzamas towards Pushkin's Boldino and Diveyevo Convent where the relic of Serafim Sarovskiy are reposed.
Leave for Arzamas, touch the mysterious and charming past of the town, feel its extraordinary attraction. And you will understand what attracted a lot of famous Russian literary men, functionaries who considered their duty to pay a visit to the sacred land of Arzamas.